Friday, August 14, 2015

Living in South Africa with Weekend Linky

Welcome to my weekend blog hop -
Make My Saturday Sweet #139!

My blog is best viewed in Google Chrome.
Click on the images to view them larger.


As an American living in South Africa, I've had to adjust to a new lifestyle. In South Africa, most people don't have central heating or cooling in their homes. Usually laundry machines are only hooked up to cold water taps and laundry is hung outside to dry.

Having a gardener and a maid is common among middle and upper class families, since it's affordable and totally worth it. We have a guy who comes twice a month to work in the garden and a lady that comes once a week for half a day to clean the house. They are a great help!

Clean Washing on the Line

Electricity is a luxury and our power gets cut occasionally as the power company, Eskom, does not have enough to power the whole country. It's called, "load shedding." (I shared this information and the photo below on Wednesday.)

Amanda doing homework in the dark
due to "load shedding"

Amanda is learning to play field hockey and netball at school and has participated in mini matches against other schools.

Amanda's Mini Field Hockey Match

Amanda's Mini Netball Match

Living in a foreign country always has its ups and downs. When I began 1camera1mom, I fell in love again with the region we live in. There's so much beauty around me and interesting things to do. I miss family and I miss conveniences that I don't have here, but my kids are thriving and things are pretty good.

And so, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I just thought to throw that in, because last week's post, "My Favorite Color Is...," was about color and color idioms. 

Let me know where you're from and leave me a link so that I can visit your latest blog post! Have a great weekend!


*********************

My Latest Book Review:

The Contaminants
Book 1 in the New Dakota Series
Science Fiction for middle grade




*********************


Blog Buttons


*********************

Make My Saturday Sweet is a weekend blog hop for all family friendly blogs. You are welcome to link your favorite post from the past week(s) and to visit the last link before yours and leave a sweet comment. It's a really easy and fun way to make new friends and to catch up on old acquaintances.

Now on to my blog hop...

Amanda’s Books and More

It's time for another Make My Saturday Sweet blog hop!

Join me (your host) for this fun and easy hop.
All family friendly blogs are welcome!

If you host your own blog hop(s), then feel free to
link them on my Blog Hops page!

I would love for you to follow me on
I'm also now on Instagram!

Here are the easy rules:
  • Follow Tina (your host) on one or more links listed above.
  • Link up a post from your family friendly blog.
  • Please try to add my hop button on your post or side-bar.
  • Share about this hop on Twitter, Google+ or Facebook.
  • Visit the last link before yours and leave a sweet comment.
Blog Button Code:

Amanda’s Books and More

Weekend Linky

This is a blog hop!

Visit my Blog Hops page to see
what link parties I take part in.

© 2011 Amanda's Books and More, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena