Friday, August 4, 2017

A Deaf Heroine and a Linky

Welcome to my weekend blog hop -
Make My Saturday Sweet #232!


Today I'm sharing four photos that I took at Kaleidoscope, formerly known as the Blind Institute in South Africa. Many of you are aware that I've been volunteering there as a reader in a sound room for the past seven years.

I wanted to do this post, because I recently finished reading a science-fiction story about a spunky teenager who is also deaf. I was so impressed that the heroine was deaf! I prefer characters who aren't perfect. For me, it makes them seem even braver and Starla in Starfall doesn't disappoint! You can find my review of that book below.

The photo above is of a plaque that hangs outside a room with special computers for a few South Africans who are both deaf and blind. If it wasn't for the institute (now Kaleidoscope) these people would be living in a very dark and lonely world.

The photo below is of a gentleman who went deaf and blind after a childhood illness. He has spent most of his life at Kaleidoscope. He learned how to feel spoken words by placing his hand by your mouth and throat, so that he knows what you are saying. The lady below demonstrated this for us. They had a conversation together. He also had to relearn how to use his voice to speak so that others could understand him.

I have included links below if you want to find out more about the people and the work they do. The motto at Kaleidoscope is, "Let the blind lead!"

This blog is best viewed in Google Chrome.
Click on my photos to see them at their best!


The garden where the blind residents can relax.

A sign in the coffee packaging department.

Related Links on
my blog, 1camera1mom:



*********************

Latest Book Review:

Starfall
by Jessie Kwak
Meet Starla, a spunky teenager
who is also deaf in this exciting
new science-fiction series!

Starfall: A Durga System Novella (Durga System Series) by [Kwak, Jessie]


*********************

Make My Saturday Sweet is a weekend blog hop for all family friendly blogs. You are welcome to link your favorite post from the past week(s) and to visit the last link before yours and leave a sweet comment. It's a really easy and fun way to make new friends and to catch up on old acquaintances.

Now on to my blog hop...

Amanda’s Books and More

It's time for another Make My Saturday Sweet blog hop!

Join me (your host) for this fun and easy hop.
All family friendly blogs are welcome!

If you host your own blog hop(s), then feel free to
link them on my Blog Hops page!

I would love for you to follow me on

Here are the easy rules:
  • Follow Tina (your host) on one or more links listed above.
  • Link up a post from your family friendly blog.
  • Please try to add my hop button on your post or side-bar.
  • Share about this hop on Twitter, Google+ or Facebook.
  • Visit the last link before yours and leave a sweet comment.
Blog Button Code:

Amanda’s Books and More

Weekend Linky


Visit my Blog Hops page to see
what link-ups I take part in.

16 comments:

  1. The William Hoy Story is a nonfiction picture book for younger kids about a deaf athlete (though it's about American baseball so it's reach isn't very international!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annette, for that bit of information! I think my favorite books for children are about real people who overcame huge obstacles to accomplish great things. Yes, we don't have baseball here, but I still think it's a nicer sport to cricket, which is a slow game.

      Delete
  2. What a great organization to help the blind!
    Thanks for hosting this week!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Karren! I'm always happy to read your comments.

      Delete
  3. Amazing and courageous people. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you could be encouraged. They bring God into what they do with scripture reading and prayer. The kids learn Christian songs, etc. That's the beauty of living in South Africa. There is more religious freedom here than in the States and our town has strong Christian heritage.

      Delete
  4. I've loved hearing all that you've shared with me about your work with this place and it's great to learn even more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! I'm glad I could share something different, since you are a regular reader! Unfortunately, Kaleidoscope doesn't have enough funds for their departments. My department where I volunteer, Pioneer Printers, thankfully isn't having financial difficulty. It's separate to the woodworking, weaving, etc. and it's in another building in another part of town. But it's frustrating that something that is so important and doing great things doesn't have the backing they need! Any prayers on their behalf is appreciated. :)

      Delete
  5. I never want perfections from my heroines because I want to know I can be a hero too! Thank for link up Christina. You rock!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! Thanks for being a regular here and I wish you a blessed week ahead. :)

      Delete
  6. That sounds like an amazing place to work and volunteer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing organization and thanks for sharing about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judee! Yes, we often read about the negative things in our world and it's nice to know that people are doing amazing things for others too. Have a fantastic week!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for highlighting them. Hope you having a great weekend and thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patrick! Thanks for all your hard work helping others too. Have a fabulous week!

      Delete

© 2011 Amanda's Books and More, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena